Social Web Literacy

We'll be discussing the Social Web and how knowing about it can help us make libraries more relevant to our social web savvy patrons.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

There's a social network for librarians

Not to be left out of the social web revolution, librarians have begun their own social networking site using the powers of Ning, a website that goes beyond giving users a single web page by granting them an entire network. Jenny Levine started the ALA Ning site a couple months ago. It encourages mingling of ALA members through blogs, photo sharing, instant messaging, and email.

Several other library-related Ning sites exist. They are all part of the world-wide movement to find people with similar interests, start dialogues, and collaborate in new ways.

Susan and I hope you have enjoyed this Social Web class today and we'd like to hear what you though of it. We'd also encourage you to share some of your experiences exploring the social web. Please click comment (below) and tell us. At the very least, we'd like you to include your first name, the website you decided to create (Catster, Dogster, Flickr, LibraryThing, or Multiply) and your user name on that site. That way your classmates can stop by and see what you've done (or are doing). And we'd also encourage you to visit them.

Explore! Participate! It's your Internet now.

-Steve

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At 12:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alan
http://www.librarything.com/profile/outofit

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger Georgia said...

Georgia -- flikr
www.flickr.com/photos/georgiaspix
(Sailing Librarian)

 
At 12:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sally multiply http://saraha2.multiply.com/

 
At 12:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.flickr.com/account
Kat Pix2007
Kathryn

 
At 12:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Peggie--I chose FLIKR and my account is http://www.flickr.com/photos/8593161@N04/

 
At 7:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was disappointed to find out that I couldn't play Second Life w/out DSL or Cable, as I only have dial-up where I live. I registered for Delicious but haven't used it yet. I have been having fun exploring the sites though. I learned a lot yesterday in class.
Kathryn @SH

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger Libdrone said...

I learned a lot and had a lot of fun too. I have been playing with Library Thing and adding my books to it and was even inspired to finally start a blog, which I had thought about for years but never felt quite up to doing. Thanks for a great class.

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger Anchovy said...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8594934@N04/ Mary Jane Fuller svamnesia

 

Post a Comment

<< Home